Butler University : A Sesquicentennial HistoryBook - 2006
Founded in 1855 by the Disciples of Christ as North Western Christian University, Butler University was renamed in 1877 for Ovid Butler, an attorney and abolitionist, who had been the chief moving force behind the school's creation. From the start, the school was conceived as "an institution of learning of the highest class... for the instructing of the students in every branch of liberal and professional education." While "Christian faith and Christian morality as taught in the sacred Scriptures," was part of the original charter, over the years the school developed along the lines of the classic collegiate university. Now with a student body of over 3,000 in its college of liberal arts and sciences and five professional schools, Butler University is an important part of Indiana's educational, sports, and cultural landscapes.