Treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorders
Evidence-based Intervention Strategies for Communication and Social InteractionsBook - 2012
& John Pub
For SLPs preparing to work with children who have autism spectrum disorders, selecting effective interventions for communication and social challenges is critically important. This accessible textbook gives SLPs the in-depth knowledge they need to evaluate, choose, and apply today's best interventions for communication and social interactions.
With contributions from 25 top autism experts across multiple disciplines, this student-friendly text gives SLPs a thorough introduction to 12 widely used evidence-based interventions, including
- augmentative and alternative communication strategies
- the Developmental Individual-Difference Relationship Based (DIR®) model
- Enhanced Milieu Teaching
- functional communication training
- joint action routines
- peer mediated support strategies
- Picture Exchange Communication System
- Pivotal Response Treatment
- Social Stories™
- video modeling applications
With this practical, expertly organized textbook, tomorrow's SLPs will expertly choose and apply interventions that improve the communication and social skills of people with autism spectrum disorders.